Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Velvet Elvis

'I'm learning that very few people actually live from their heart. Very few people live connected with their soul. And those few who do the difficult work, who stare their junk in the face, who get counsel, who let people into their soul that no one ever goes in, they make a difference. They are so different; they're coming from such a different place that their voices inevitably get heard above the others. They are pursuing wholeness and shalom, and it's contagious. They inspire me to keep going.'

This was taken from this book I read this weekend. For my "Assessing Individuals" class, I was supposed to pick up a self-help book. It was something our professor thought would be good for us. He said that there were many crappy self-help books out there, so we should find one and get it, read it, and tell the class what you think. GREAT! Not only do I have to find an other book to read, but I also have to get up in front of the class and tell them about it. Luckily, since Friday I have lost my fear of speaking in front of people. Who knows why? However, anyways, back to the book I bought this weekend. It's called "VELVET ELVIS" and was written by Rob Bell. At the time, I didn't know really, what it was, I just picked it up and it said something about repainting the Christian Faith. I thought, Oh well it might be interesting. You know there are certain times in your when everything and I mean everything is perfectly in the right placeand it's only a moment. Well, that night at the bookstore was my moment where it seemed like i was there for a reason, looking at the wrong section for a reason! I found this amazing book. This person talks about God, the bible, the soul, healing our souls, being made new, worship, moving forward, what is good, who we are. It was amazing. I read it in like 4 hours. Therefore, the book that I had to get for Assessing Individuals.assessed me. I am in a great field. One that I am happy to be in. I am learning more about myself than I ever thought possible.

No comments: